What started as a cheap flight booked on a whim turned into a great trip to Austria. Austria has a little bit of everything, from the spectacular pristine landscape to a bustling city rich with history and culture. Vienna transports you to another time and place where you get to immerse yourself in a different era. During its peak, Vienna was the epicenter of a grand empire, where Mozart and many other notable musical prodigies called home. Today, this metropolis continue to thrive, integrating contemporary designs and historic buildings. This trip report summarizes all the blog posts related to our trip to Austria and provides a break down of the cost.
- Time Cost
- Total Days In Austria: 3 days
- Total Days Off From Work: 2 days
- Monetary Cost
- Hotel: Le Meridien, $175 per night (including tax)
- Flight: $398 pp round trip from NYC to Vienna
- Food: $50 pp per day, sausage is a cheap lunch option
- Transportation: $106 pp, including train tickets to Hallstatt
- Admission: $45 pp, various
- Total Per Person: $1,069
Even though we only got to see a small part, we totally fell in love with Austria. We loved walking the narrow streets of Vienna admiring the striking architecture, elaborate marble statues, and the imperial grandeur. We loved trying all the different food unique to the area – the sausages, the schnitzels, and of course all the cakes! We loved spending a lazy afternoon at the coffee shop like a local. After we left the city, we fell even more in love with the Austrian country-side – from the snow-capped mountains to the alpine lakes and all the little villages nestled in between. To read more about each post, click on the link below.
- All our trips always start out the same way: we found cheap tickets to some far-flung place around the world.
- Eating cake, cake and more cake…and some sausages in between
- Creating my own self-guided tour of Vienna
- Marvel at the ornate Wiener Staatsoper
- Discovering and hording mayonnaise and mustard from a Viennese supermarket
- Venturing out to the country-side to visit a little picturesque village by a lake